Mount Johnstone dominates the landscape to the west of the township of Paterson, and evidently caught the eye of Robert Russell in about 1837. Mount Johnstone also features in Dangar's 1828 map, and can be seen in the background of Lycett's 1824 painting of Lake Paterson.
The farm in the foreground of Russell's painting below is probably Brisbane Grove that Caleb and Felix Wilson purchased in 1834.
Mount Johnson from C. Wilson's farm, Patersons River, c 1837. Watercolour by Robert Russell.
Abbreviations sometimes used on this site: CS = NSW Colonial Secretary; HRA = Historical Records of Australia; LB = Letters to Benches of Magistrates, Justices of the Peace and Superintendents of Police; ML = Mitchell Library (State Library of NSW); NLA = National Library of Australia; NSWGG = NSW Government Gazette; PRO = Public Record Office, London; PSC = Principal Superintendent of Convicts; SG = Sydney Gazette; SH = Sydney Herald; SRNSW = State Records Authority of NSW;
This is a mobile-friendly web page