Gostwyck Bridge spans the Paterson River a few kilometres north of Paterson township. The first Gostwyck Bridge was completed in 1878 and opened on 31 July 1878 by the wife of Herbert Harrington Brown, Member for Paterson. Before it was built, people had to walk across the river upsteam at Vineyard Crossing (Mowbray). The second Gostwyck Bridge was completed about 1927.
The bridge takes its name from Edward Gostwyck Cory, the first grantee of the land on which the bridge is located. Gostwyck House (1876) still stands nearby.
The first Gostwyck Bridge, completed in 1878 (photo: Weston Collection).
The first Gostwyck Bridge in 1878 (photo: Arthur Asplund).
Detail of a span of the first Gostwyck Bridge (photo: Newcastle City Council).
The second and current Gostwyck Bridge (photo: Brian Walsh).