Commercial Hotel, now the Paterson Tavern
The Commercial Hotel was built in Prince Street Paterson in 1882 for its first licensee, Joseph Green Smith. Smith had been licensee of the Plough Inn but closed it because it did not meet accommodation requirements under the new Licensing Act of 1882. That closure led to the construction of the Commercial Hotel. After the death of JG Smith his widow Ellen ran the hotel, followed by their son John Allen Smith. Ellen was the licensee from 1893 to at least 1900.
In 1906 the Commercial Hotel was trading as 'Murray's Commercial Hotel'. In about 1911 it was extended to the west. In 1924 the new owner of the Commercial Hotel, FT Bradsheet, renovated and refurbished it. It now trades as the Paterson Tavern.
The Commercial Hotel in the early 1900s (photo: Harry Boyle collection, Paterson Historical Society).
The Commercial Hotel about 1920, after it had been extended to the west (photo: Paterson Historical Society).
The Commercial Hotel in 1924 (photo: Tooths Yellow Cards).
The Commercial Hotel in 1930 (photo: Tooths Yellow Cards).
List and index of Paterson's hotels.
Tooths Yellow Cards for Paterson Tavern.
Knight, Ken and Fred Scott. Pubs and Publicans in NSW 1860-1900. Society of Australian Genealogists, 2016.