Paterson, showing commercial road, about 1840
The village of Paterson was gazetted in 1833 and by 1835 a court house and lockup had been built. This map was drawn about 1840 . The road shaded in yellow was Commercial Road.
Although flood-prone, Commercial Road was a hive of activity up to the mid 1870s. On it there was a flour mill, the Cricketers Arms Inn, a mill-keepers cottage (Hayward, which is still there), a blacksmith's shop and a Wesleyan Chapel.
Today, north-bound traffic uses Gresford Road which is on higher ground to the west of the old Commercial Road.
Paterson about 1840, with Commercial Road digitally shaded in yellow.
Looking across the Paterson River to Commercial Road. The large building is a flour mill and to the right of it is the Bush Inn/Sussex House.