New on the site
Belmore Bridge. (November 2013).
Paterson Museum is open from 11.00am to 3.00pm on Sundays [details].
Welcome to the Paterson River website, focused on the early history of the Paterson district. Key pages include:
- an overview of settlement from 1812-1821
- an overview of Aboriginal history of the area
- an overview of settlement from 1822
- the start of Paterson township
- Paterson town walk
New Facebook group for Paterson history
There is now a Facebook group for people interested in the history of the Paterson and Allyn River valleys. It's called 'Lost Paterson' and is a great way to share photos and stories of the area's past [go to Lost Paterson].
Paterson turns 180 in 2013
The 15th of October is Paterson's birthday. On that date in 1833 the village was officially gazetted, so 2013 will mark the 180th birthday of Paterson [details].
New book on convict tools
Tocal has recently published a new book titled Convict Tools - Working at Camden Park and Tocal, written by Brian Walsh and Ralph Hawkins. The book shows the day to day working lives of convicts in private assignment through photos and descriptions of the tools they used and the work they performed. It includes mini biographies of some of the convict artisans and workers at Tocal and Camden Park. It is available from Tocal or online at NSW DPI.
Book on the early European history of Paterson
- It was an inauspicious and humble start ... (Cameron Archer).
In late 2012 Paterson Historical Society published a new book titled European Settlement at Paterson River 1812 to 1822 to commemorate 200 years of European settlement in the district. It was written by Brian Walsh and is available from Paterson Historical Society.
Above: Looking north from Paterson, over Commercial Road. In the foreground is the main road to Gresford. Sussex House is in the centre and across the road from it is Corner's grain store, the ruins of which remain today. Behind the right hand tree is 'Haywood' which was the mill keeper's cottage (photo: Paterson Historical Society).
Abbreviations sometimes used on this site: CS = NSW Colonial Secretary; HRA = Historical Records of Australia; LB = Letters to Benches of Magistrates, Justices of the Peace and Superintendents of Police; ML = Mitchell Library (State Library of NSW); NLA = National Library of Australia; NSWGG = NSW Government Gazette; PRO = Public Record Office, London; PSC = Principal Superintendent of Convicts; SG = Sydney Gazette; SH = Sydney Herald; SRNSW = State Records Authority of NSW;
This is a mobile-friendly web site